TAQADDAN MARINE BASE, IRAQ - As the C-17 dipped and rolled toward a concrete-soft landing here in western Iraq, the white lights went out and the cabin was bathed in a seedy red glow. I asked the Air Force crew woman next to me why the red-out and she cheerfully explained that white lights can be seen from up to 25,000 feet and "They really like shooting at us." A comforting start.
So here I am, not only in Iraq but immediately into my first snafu. The flight to Baghdad was full last night and there are no flights today, so I'm spending some quality time in the western desert. Fortunately, trying to work out logistics has taken all of my brain power and I haven't had time to worry about anything.
There are no colors here, only degrees of khaki. The sand and camo landscape is broken only by the occasional silver glint of barbed wire.
It's hot and dusty, of course, but the Ugandan guards are friendly (Some U.S. bases are guarded by Ugandan soldiers. Weird, I know) the American troops have taken good care of me, even when I ask dumb questions, which so far means almost every time I open my mouth (the Air Forcecrew could see I was starving and treated me to my very first MRE - I don't recommend the spaghetti).
Shocking news: the food is tasty. If we had a chow hall at work like this, I would eat there. There's about 15 different things to choose from, everything from egg rolls to pineapple pork to pizza. I can see why some troops who stay on base gain weight.
Well, time to go see if I can finagle my way out of here tonight or if I have to get ready for another cozy night in my barracks bunk bed.
Yellow Pine, ID - Version 2
12 years ago
1 comment:
Glad to hear you've at least arrived safely. Can't wait to read the first story!
Post a Comment