Sunday, February 22, 2009

He's not stirring gumbo















MOSUL, Iraq - I just finished the first three of nine days on patrol in Mosul. The combat oupost where I stayed was, uh, minimalist.
When I first got there I got the grand tour, including the "piss tubes," (I think you can guess which photo that corresponds to) and the buckets for, er, other needs.
No one needed to point out the showers since they don't exist. Wet wipes and Purell are the going options.
You can walk the entire perimeter of the outpost in about five minutes and there's not much in the way of activities, other than internet (funny, the amenities come before running water). One thing they do have is the only driving range I've found in Iraq.
The soldier pictured above said Tiger better watch out: "I'm trading this green jacket for another green jacket," he said.
Whelan, a critique of my form?

9 comments:

Murph said...

Looks like another blooper over the second baseman's head.

Murph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Jaz said...

Your form is much better than the solder's below you. He needs to extend those arms and lock those elbows.

And don't worry about Murph, Heath, teamsnap doesn't lie.

Druz said...

Murphapalooza,
What's the big picture?

When Team Statesman needs a bloop single, a la Luis Gonzalez, to win the championship, and someone hits a screaming line drive caught at the fence, remember your taunts, my friend.

The Colonel said...

Nice high extension and classic finish you've got going on there, Druz. You can see the beginnings of a Reverse C finish, reminiscent of a young Johnny Miller. Work on keeping that left toe from sliding open toward the target - that's probably a holdover move from your baseball swing. If you can keep the left foot planted (which I recognize is difficult in boots on a hard dirt surface), then you'll be able to post up more on the left leg through the downswing and gain some more yards.

As for the soldier's ambitions...I think Tiger is safe.

Hey, Barkeep said...

So they...what? Burn the garbage and bury it? Add that to the presumably-large list of things you can do in the deserts of Iraq but not the deserts of Black Rock City.

Druz said...

No, my friend, they burn the shit. First, though, they pour gasoline on it and stir until they get a nice dark reaux going.

Hey, Barkeep said...

So then what's with the charred garbage?

Druz said...

They burn that, too. But the stuff he's stirring is poo.