Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Now I'm posed in an awkward stance ...




SAMARRA, Iraq - Premature discharge. It happens to the best of us.
It's an especially dangerous problem in Iraq, especially with the Iraqi Security Forces who find often find the trigger much more easily than the safety. On patrol I constantly remind myself, 'Stay clear of the muzzle, stay clear of the muzzle ...'
When I was in Samarra three Iraqi National Policemen came to the tiny patrol base where I was staying with various injuries, luckily none of them life threatening. One of them had accidentally fired his AK-47. The bullet hit the ground and exploded into shrapnel, smashing one guys leg and spraying his buddies with bullet fragments.

The Iraqis were OK, but needed medical attention, so the soldiers at the base called in a couple medevac choppers to take them to a military hospital and I happened to be there when the birds came in.

No comments: